Sunday, January 30, 2011

Calea's Birthday in Baltimore

Yesterday Jeff and I drove out to Baltimore to hang out with our friends there and celebrate Calea's birthday. We met up with Tim and Rachel, Jen and Schleigh, Nick and Calea, and some of their friends. There was a long wait at the restaurant we wanted to try - and a line of people out the door. I put down our name, and it was an hour and a half wait. I asked the lady if she would take down my cell phone number and call me when a table was open, and she was really nice about it - so then we didn't have to stand outside in the cold, we just went for a quick drink down the street.

Around 9pm, we went back to Iggie's Pizza for dinner. It's a really cute little place, with really great pizza. We had one pizza with roasted duck, blue cheese, asparagus, red onions and mozzarella, and another with a bunch of vegetables and balsamic reduction. They both were really good! It's also BYOB, which is always fun - Jeff and I had brought some of his beer of the month club beers with us.

After dinner we went to Brewer's Art, a really cute little bar in the same neighborhood as Iggie's. I mostly drank the "resurrection" beer, which is their specialty, and is really good. The bar is in a basement, and the atmosphere is cool, though it can get a bit crowded. Also, the beer is really reasonably priced (less than $5 for a pint of their home-brewed beers).

Nick and Calea just got engaged, and Tim and Rachel and Jen and Schleigh both got married relatively recently, so it was really fun to talk about all sorts of wedding planning things. Now Rachel and Jen are already moving on to baby-planning stage. It's such a big life change, though I guess it is really likely that Jeff and I will start having kids within a few years, too (less than five, at least)? It definitely will be fun to be going through that stage of life the same time as your friends...

Other than weddings and babies, I spent a bunch of my night talking to a woman who is a teacher in a public school in Greenbelt - it was really interesting to hear her perspective on the education system, and on being a teacher in general.

No comments: