Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Back in DC... and back to exercising

Well, the 'back to' part of this blog title is a little bit misleading. I joined a gym in August, just after Jeff and I got back from the cruise and I knew we were going to get married the next summer. (As an aside - I also went through a phase where I tried every type of exercise that didn't require joining a gym - "Why pay x dollars a month for a gym, when you can just run outside?" Which makes sense, except I hate running, and therefore don't do it. I also tried getting mini-exercise equipment (like a step) for inside my apartment - better than running, but still not super reliable. So I gave up and joined a gym.)

I started going in the beginning of the year, and that was going pretty well. Then we had our apartment fire in the beginning of November, and moved so the gym was no longer right around the corner. So I suspended my membership and just stopped going for November and December.

In January we moved back to our old apartment, and I started up at the gym again - new year's resolution time with everyone else. But everything was really busy, and I wasn't doing a great job of going on a regular basis, and then I went to France in February.

So when I got back (ok, only a week ago), I decided that now is really the time to step up my efforts and actually make it to the gym on a regular basis. I figured that if I go five days a week between now and the wedding, I only have 70 work outs to go. (Now I'm down to 63!) My plan has been to do ten minutes on the rowing machine, and then run on the elliptical for 45 minutes (i.e. the length of one Fringe episode played off my iPod, which is probably one of the best incentives for me to go). Occasionally I try to throw in a yoga or pilates class, just for fun.

I don't particularly want to lose a lot of weight or anything, but I do want to be in better shape, and I do think going to the gym is just a good habit to get into - and preparing for the wedding (and for sitting on the beach during the honeymoon) is definitely good motivation!

No comments: