Monday, April 19, 2010

Spock!


One of the highlights of the conference this year was the opportunity to see Leonard Nimoy (Spock from the original Star Trek series) speak. He gave a talk at the final evening dinner.

I have never seen him in any role but Spock, and was impressed and pleased to find that in real life, he's energetic, funny, and just a great speaker overall. I think even people who aren't big Star Trek fans really enjoyed his talk.

He talked about moving to Hollywood when he was 18, getting drafted after only having done a movie or two, how he was originally chosen to play Spock in the Star Trek pilot, what it was like having (kind of crazy) fans, how he came up with the Vulcan greeting and the Vulcan death pinch, and all sorts of other fun and funny stories. I'd love to put them all in the blog, but I think they're much better told in person - so just ask me next time you see me, and I'll tell you all about it!

I was also very lucky to catch him on his way out of the room, say a quick hello, and get a picture.

No comments: