Tuesday, July 14, 2009

MIT Pi Reunion

This past weekend was my MIT Pi Reunion - yep, it's been 3.14 years since I graduated! And, following tradition, the reunion was in Las Vegas.

I'd never been to Las Vegas, so I was pretty excited to see what it was like. Jeff and I stayed at Treasure Island (along with almost all of the other reunion guests), which is right on the strip. We got in Friday evening (after a bit of an ordeal with canceled flights). We met up with Craig and Patrick and had dinner at the buffet. The food was really good, and there were many dessert options, though four was my limit. :) We also saw Monica, Pooja, Janet, Sam, Jess, and lots of others. It was great to see friends that are now spread out all over.

That evening, most of the people at the reunion went to the club in Treasure Island, which was one of the first official events. It had a patio, which was nice, and we watched the "Sirens of TI" show from there. Saw lots of old friends and acquaintances!

On Saturday, we started out with brunch in one of the restaurants at TI and then spent the next few hours in the (super crowded) pool. Definitely the best place to be when it's so hot out.

When it got a little later we went on a walk to see some of the other hotels, but really only got to Mirage, Ceasar's Palace, Paris, and the Bellagio. The hotel tour did include a stop at the Ghiradelli ice cream shop, where a group of us devoured something called "The Volcano."

I also found a Star Trek slot machine! Amazing!

We did see the fountain show at the Bellagio, though, which was pretty cool.

For dinner, a group of us ate at Sensi in the Bellagio - the food was great!

Then it was back to Treasure Island, where we saw "Mystere," a Cirque du Soleil show. It was the first Cirque show I'd ever seen, and I loved it! We spent our last evening exploring more hotels and hanging out with friends.

On our last day, we did more wandering around the strip, seeing New York, New York, MGM, and other places. We stopped at TV City and previewed one of the worst TV shows I've ever seen - some spin-off of Criminal Minds made entirely with people who had never acted before in their lives (or that's what I assume based on the talent level...) Though it's possible I was just tired - the woman sitting next to Jeff said it was the best show she'd ever seen. (I think it's more likely she just doesn't own a television.)

Went out to the Stratosphere, but the ride we wanted to go on was closed. Instead, we spent some time playing $1 Blackjack at the Sahara, and after 1.5 hours, I'd actually made money! It was $3, but it's a start!

Then dinner on the strip, and the whole weekend was over! It went by quickly, but was a lot of fun!

No comments: