Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day!

With all the snow and crazy weather, Jeff and I decided to celebrate Valentine's day with a cozy night in.

Jeff cooked blackened salmon, potatoes, and asparagus for dinner. Everything tasted great!


After dinner we watched two movies:

Up
Both Jeff and I really enjoyed 'Up', though it had me in tears more than once. I was really caught off guard, since that's not what I was expecting from a cartoon! It really was a fun movie, though. Here's my basic description, leaving out any spoilers: It's about a guy who was obsessed with adventure as a kid and always wanted to move to 'Paradise Falls' in South America. As a (somewhat crotchety) old man, he decides to attach a bunch of helium balloons to his house and float there. He accidentally takes a neighborhood kid (who was under the deck when they took off) along for the ride, and they end up being on an adventure together. Be prepared for a couple sad parts, particularly at the beginning, but I'd definitely recommend watching it.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
I had been meaning to watch this movie for a long time, so I continued my somewhat-sad romantic movie night. The movie is about a guy - Benjamin Button - who is born old and grows younger. It is an interesting movie and fun to watch, though I didn't love all the characters. It was interesting to see how they pieced the story together (though the 'reading a journal to an old woman lying in bed' reminded me a lot of "The Notebook... and a little of "Big Fish"). I think the movie was less interesting for the particular things he did, but more for the various emotions experienced in life, and in his unique situation, and how people deal with these things.

No comments: