Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Political Contributions

The question of ethical political financial contributions is interesting and complicated. But ignoring that for the moment, I just wanted to share a fun quote from the book "Analyzing Politics" by Kenneth Shepsle:

"Interest groups often contribute money to legislative campaigns in an attempt to influence legislative outcoms. Bank executive Charles H. Keating, Jr. , prosecuted for his role in the savings and loan crisis of the 1980's, was asked about the 1.4 million in campaign contributions he gave to five senators, all members of the Senate Banking Committee, who came to be known as "the Keating Five." Keating replied:

One question, among the many raised in recent weeks, had to do with whether my financial support in any way influenced several political figures to take up my cause. I want to say in the most forceful way I can: I certainly hope so."

To be fair, this reasoning does make sense as part of the rational choice theory for political analysis.

No comments: