Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My life is becoming a series of crazy coincidences...

On Monday night, tired from sitting in my house all day, Jeff and I make a last-minute decision to see the 10pm show of Vicky Christina Barcelona at the E Street Cinema. We decide to bike there, and leave later than we meant to, but miraculously arrive 20 minutes early. (I love those bikes!) With all this extra time on our hands, we decide to fill out the form to join the E Street Cinema Movie Club. Then we got snacks and went to our movie.

And then, today, I received this message facebook:

Hey Mariel!

Remember how we used to work together at a movie theater and hang out a bunch eight years ago? Well, it just so happens that my current job is managing the E-Street Cinema in Washington DC. It was a bit of a shock to see your name staring me in the face when I went to collect the film club sign-up cards last night. It can't be the same Mariel John, I thought. I quickly looked you up on Facebook and saw that you do, in fact, live in DC. Then I spent the next 30 minutes in the lobby watching all the people come out of the movies, thinking that maybe I'd see you. No such luck. You must have been at an earlier show. Anyway, the point here is...THIS IS AN INSANE COINCIDENCE!

I won't post the whole message, but that's the gist of it. The message was from Tom Beddow, who I had worked with at Marcus Cinema while I was in high school. We'd hung out all the time during those years. Then, he'd moved to Michigan, and I'd moved to Boston, and we'd lost touch over the years. Now, through a completely random series of events, we've run into each other again! So we're now planning on getting together and catching up, and I'm really looking forward to seeing an old friend again! Still, after the ring-finding thing the other day, another huge coincidence is so surprising - who knows what will happen next?

No comments: