Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Yay, Twins!

On Tuesdays I have class from 4pm to 7pm, so it was while browsing the internet (during a break) that I realized the twins were playing their tie-breaker game against Detroit. I monitored the game online, but class ended in the 6th inning, with the twins down by two. I packed up my stuff, and headed to the metro to get back home, figuring I'd probably miss the rest of the game.

After getting off the metro at U Street, I was chatting with Jeff on the phone and walked by a sports bar - MoMo's, surprised to see the game was still going - it was only the top of the eighth, and the Twins were up by one! Then, as I was standing there, Detroit hit a homerun and tied it up again. I told Jeff to come up and meet me at the sports bar - it seemed harmless to put off work for two innings so I could catch the end of the game.

I ordered a couple New Castles and some BBQ Wings, which I decided would count for dinner. Also, the wings there are amazing - the menu says they're ranked in the top 5 best wings in DC, and I can definitely see why. The game stayed tied, so it went into extra innings. We thought it might be over when Detroit got a run in the top of the 10th, but the Twins got a run also, so the game went on. Jeff was a bit anxious to get home and finish his work, but I kept insisting, "Just one more inning! ...unless they're still tied." Finally, at the top of the twelfth inning, Jeff said he was headed home in the middle of this inning - luckily he was convinced (again) to stay, and he saw the twins get a run in the bottom of the 12th to win it!

One of the coolest things was that in this random bar in DC that I wandered into was filled with Twins fans! So there was lots of cheering and clapping throughout the game. Also, I had told Jeff earlier about the twins song that goes, "We're gonna win twins, we're gonna score," etc. and after the Twins won the game, all the people in the bar randomly started singing it - so Jeff knew it wasn't something I just made up. ;)

We ended up being at MoMo's for 2 hours instead of the 30 min. or so I'd expected, but it was a pretty fun way to spend the evening.

No comments: